|After an adventurous youth spent desperately searching for true meditation across Japan, Koun Subhuti Shibuya got his teacher’s message. |
He lived in the wilderness of Hokkaido, taught meditation in Bodhgaya India, was the abbot of Musasinoji temple in Japan, and then became the resident meditation teacher (known simply as “Sensei”) at Dharma Vijaya Buddhist Vihara in Los Angeles.
|As a Mahayana/Theravada hybrid Buddhist teacher and poet, he’s written a number of short pieces, books, and a personal epic. Before his retirement in 2015, he founded an informal “Insect Sangha” of seasoned meditators, based on the idea that Nature herself conveys the ultimate message.|
Slideshow of Shibuya Sensei from 2/22/2022: (put mouse over lotus, click orange arrow for next slide, or click upper right corner arrows for full screen mode)
- 2020-Nov. 8, 2022: Kei-Ai Healthcare Center, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- 2016-2020: Sakura Intermediate Care Facility, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- 1989-2015: Dharma Vijaya Buddhist Vihara, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
- 2005-2006: Monk in residence, Summerville and Mount Vernon, OR, USA.
- 1980-1989: Musashinoji, Moroyama, Saitama, Japan. Abbot
- ~1973-1979: Indosan Nipponji, Bodhgaya, India (Japanese).
- 1966+: Hokkaido wilderness hut (couple years), Menashunbetsu River valley, Hidaka Mountains, Hokkaido, Japan
- 1957+: Soto Zen with Chigen Sakimura Sensei, Hakuhoji (White Peak Temple), Chigasaki, Kanagawa, Japan (Japanese).
- 1956+: Soto Zen with Eko Hashimoto Roshi: Hokyoji, Eiheiji, and Sojiji.
- ~1955+: English and American Literature major: Aoyama Gakuin University, Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan.
- July 22, 1932: Born and raised: Sakata, Yamagata, Japan.